If you are on a tight budget and want to do website optimization yourself, here is the list you were looking for. The following list of optimization strategies will help you on your way to online success.
02. Write articles related to your product/company/service and submit them to article sites. Remember to use your keywords and links to your site in the content.
03. Place a free ad for your company on Gumtree.
04. Create and maintain your blog. Also create a Technorati account and “claim” your blog.
05. Bookmark your site on Social Bookmarking sites like Del.icio.us and add a Del.icio.us button to your homepage (so others can bookmark it too).
06. Submit your site to free, search engine friendly directories. Depending on your market, you may need more or less links. Here is a list of some directories you may use.
07. Learn CSS and HTML. Specially with the now coming HTML5 and CSS3 that are all the rage and you will need them for almost everything.
08. Create a MySpace/Facebook/LinkedIn account according to what works best for your site and use them to promote it.
09. Syndicate your site’s content by using RSS feeds.
10. Submit your RSS feeds to aggregator sites like , Squidoo, Feedboy, Jordomedia, FeedBomb, FeedCat, rssmad, feeddirectory and feedfury.
11. Conduct a survey. This is a great way to generate online and offline publicity. Publish the results online.
12. Sign up to StumbleUpon and get friends and other people to “Stumble” your site.
13. Add a link to your site in the signature of any forums you post on. Post smart comments and preferably be helpful in forums related to your product or service.
14. Set up a 301 redirect to take traffic from your non-www address to your www address.
15. Create a custom 404 page so that even if someone encounters an error on your site, they are re-directed somewhere nice (and then back to your site).
16. Tell your friends/family/neighbours about your site. It’s free advertising.
17. Test your site and make sure it appears correctly in all major browsers. Always, always, always check your site in IE11 (Internet Explorer), IE10, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari. Pay special attention to IE7 as there are still many people out there using it and you are more likely to get errors from that browser than any other!
18. Spell check your site. Typos and mistakes make you look amateur, affect your SEO efforts and may cost you clients.
19. Buy great hosting. Optimize your site for speed.
With these 19 strategies you are on your way. I promised 42 strategies, so the rest are on 42 strategies – Part 2 of this article.
If you have any questions about SEO, reach to the guys at SearchEngineOp who are experts in SEO.