I’m constantly asked by clients why we always suggest using a content management system. Most traditional web designers prefer to use the one-off approach of developing a website without a content management system (CMS) such as Joomla, Drupal, DNN, Mambo, WordPress,WordPress (our favourite) etc. While this simplifies the development process as there is no need to create a template for the system, it complicates the management of the site in a regular basis, specially, if you are planning on actually having a business online as opposed to an online business card.
The basic benefits are:
- Any person in your company can update and change your website content anytime, anywhere.
- Most CMS have lots of plugins that simplify the implementation of many tools in your site, and most are two clicks away!
- The full look of the website can be changed and updated without having to redo your whole site. This not only saves time, but a lot of money.
- Grow as easily as 1, 2, 3… by adding components and plugins your site gets more functionality and with a couple of clicks you can add new pages and content, news stories, forums, blogs, etc.
- You don’t hand your company’s presence online to one developer. As long as you have control of the server, access to the system and the content, you can change developers and designers without having to replace your complete website.
Additionally, when you can change elements to different positions, add and remove colors, content and functionality, you can experiment like the pros! Most major companies online, know the value of always experiment to get the best results. Sometimes, moving a line of text to the left its all its needed to make it stand out and/or produce more results.
So, now you know, go and explore, most CMS are free and open source and have huge forums where people provide solutions to almost every situation. If you are interested and have the time and ability, you can make your own website, if you don’t, but want to have a system installed for your marketing online, we recommend these guys >SearchEngineOp.